Friday, August 22, 2014

Chronic Illnesses

Chronic active EBV infection

After having several “Mono” infections in High School (2000 and 2002) I found the excessive fatigue still lingering years later. I was diagnosed with “Chronic Fatigue Syndrome in 2004. In 2011 my thyroid was checked after a long episode of fatigue accompanied by hair loss. It took about a year to get my thyroid levels where they needed to be but the chronic fatigue would still strike intermediately, combined with joint pain in my toes, wrist and elbows. It wasn’t until I was seen by a new family physician in 2013 I heard the words Chronic EBV.  

The “Mono” bug in my body lays dormant becoming active when I’m sick, stressed or sometimes without any trigger. My symptoms include:
§  Allergies (Heightened, or previously nonexistent)
§  Anxiety (Mild to Severe)
§  “Brain Fog” (Feels as though thoughts are dulled)
§  Brain “Surges” (Similar to a headache, feels like a “shock”)
§  Burning or Tingling Extremities (Mild to Severe)
§  Cold Sweats
§  Decreased Alertness
§  Decreased Libido
§  Decreased or Low Stress Tolerance
§  Depression (sometimes cognitive, controlled)
§  Difficulty Reasoning (Mathematics, decision making, etc.)
§  Excessive Worry
§  Fatigue (Usually very severe)
§  Fever (Usually mild, fluctuates from low to high)
§  Headaches (Mild to Severe)
§  Hostility (Usually very mild, only in thought, not action)
§  Hypersomnia
§  Increased Nasal Buildup
§  Insomnia
§  Irritability
§  Mood Swings (Mild to Severe)
§  Night Sweats
§  Sensitivity to Light (Especially bright light)
§  Sinus Problems (nonexistent or unusually heightened)
§  Sore Joints (Mild to Severe, normally short duration)
§  Sore Muscles (Mild to Severe, sometimes restricting movement)
§  Sore Throat (Normally mild, may be severe, can last for days)

Now let’s compare those symptoms to Low Functioning Thyroid:
Pimples and blackheads
Cracked heels
Brittle nails
Dull hair
Hair loss
Sensitivity to cold
Bloating
Excessive weight gain
Getting tired easily
Anemia
Extreme fatigue
Muscle aches and muscle cramps
Muscle stiffness
Inability to carry out the day's tasks energetically
An overall sense of weakness
Feel exhausted very soon
Feel like taking frequent naps
Feel exhausted even after sleeping for long hours.
Lack of sex drive
Insomnia
Concentration problems
Mood swings
Irritability
easily depressed
Memory loss/foggy memory
Anxiety

I was also diagnosed with Anxiety/ Depression.

Generalized Anxiety Disorder Symptoms:
·         Constant worrying or obsession about small or large concerns
·         Restlessness and feeling keyed up or on edge
·         Fatigue
·         Difficulty concentrating or your mind "going blank"
·         Irritability
·         Muscle tension or muscle aches
·         Trouble sleeping
·         Sweating, nausea or diarrhea
Depression Symptoms:
·         Difficulty concentrating, remembering details, and making decisions
·         Fatigue and decreased energy
·         Feelings of pessimism
·         Insomnia, early-morning wakefulness, or excessive sleeping
·         Irritability, restlessness
·         Loss of interest in activities or hobbies once pleasurable, including sex
·         Overeating
·         Persistent aches or pains, headaches, cramps, or digestive problems that do not ease even with treatment
·         Persistent sad, anxious, or "empty" feelings

Highlighted are the common symptoms between them all. Lovely isn’t it. I never really know where my symptoms are coming from when I have a flare up. I typically start with the thyroid check (if it last long enough and isn’t accompanied by joint pain) with joint pain is typically my CEBV and that typically signals I am getting sick. When I have no desire to or find it hard to get back in the habit of exercising it is typically my depression—which can also be triggered by my lack of energy caused by one of the other ailments. Typically my depression alone is evident by my attitude changes, mostly work triggers this. It is a crazy mess.

Treatments:
I am on Synthroid for my Thyroid and a medication for my Anxiety/Depression.  I take supplements for my weaken immune system and energy levels. I plan on researching and pursuing more support for my Weaken Immune System—which is what I think started this ball of symptoms rolling.

I also exercise in 30-45 minute intervals as this is the optimal length of time it takes for the brain to release Dopamine and Serotonin every day.
To see it all listed here is a little overwhelming to me. I knew a lot of conditions had similar symptoms but never this many.

If you, or someone you know, is suffering for one or all of these please seek professional help first. After you get the symptoms under control then you can start pursuing more natural remedies. I realize that may sound silly to a lot of people but when you are experiencing these symptoms; often it has already been for a long period of time, what you need more than anything at that moment is to “stop” the symptoms to be able to think more clearly.

Undiagnosed Condition:
I am thinking I also have a Hormonal Imbalance. Several things lead me to this conclusion but the main one is the Acne Breakouts I have during my period.

Hormonal Imbalance in Women

Allergy
Acne
Anxiety
Bloating

Depression
Dizziness
Fatigue
Growth of facial hair
Headaches
Hair loss
Irritability
Mood swings
Night sweats

PMS
Reduced sex drive
Urinary tract infections
Weight gain/weight loss
Yeast infection

This truly is ridiculous how many common symptoms there are. 


No comments:

Post a Comment